This year, our hope and plan for the Christmas season was very intentional and set apart from those of the past. We wanted it to be less about "the stuff" and more about Jesus, relationships & family experiences. Simplifying the holiday season took on many different forms. We scaled back in so many ways- gifts, parties, travel, & activities to name a few. Many of our preparations were made well in advance in hopes of truly enjoying the season instead of rushing around and feeling stressed. We focused on Advent. We made gifts. We slowed down in a way we've never before. There was margin in our December... and then the snowstorm came and brought us a whole new level of simplicity! :)
We were stuck in our home for 6 days, church services were canceled for 2 Sundays and Christmas Eve :(, it was impossible to get to Target (AAGGHH!!), school programs were canceled, life as we anticipated came to a halt. In the midst of all the cancellations, I saw so many cool things happen in our neighborhood. A chance to connect with neighbors while shoveling, impromptu sledding parties in our driveway, play dates with kids we never see, and a couple opportunities to reach out to a lonely man across the street from us. He actually spent both Christmas Eve and some of Christmas Day with us...
God used the snow to help connect our neighborhood. What a wonderful & simple Christmas gift! I new this year would be set apart from the others, but I had no idea what a blessing it would be for the year to come. Welcome 2009!
We are so thankful!
He is good!
Independent living
4 years ago
5 comments:
Amen! that's so cool! Thanks for sharing!
Love it! I agree, the snow was such a gift.
That's awesome. What wonderful perspective! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!
Hey Rachel- I would love to get your email address! Also was wondering if you follow "Bring the Rain?" I noticed your "pray for the children" button on your blog a while back. Our email is zachsgang@yahoo.com love your blog- Jenny
Sounds truly wonderful. We definitely enjoyed our time together as a family... much needed time.
Post a Comment