All we ever needed to know about being good neighbors, we learned from our dear friends, Bonnie & Mickey (whom we miss something fierce). This amazing Texan grown couple taught us SOOO much about life.
Like, be the first to bring a casserole when there's been an important event in someone's life.
And don't be afraid to bless someone by mowing their lawn (and introduce them to edging while you're at it, too!)
Or sneek into their home while they are out of town and steam clean their carpet. Babysit their children at a moment's notice AND make em dinner!
Bring the neighborhood together by hosting a bi-monthly soup supper during the winter months.
Push in when everyone else disappears!
Share maternity & children's clothes.
Joyfully host baby showers.
Be the first to ask "How's YOUR day been?"
Initiate overnight kid swaps to squeeze in date nights.
Offer to help with practically ANYthing that would prove helpful.
LOVE on your children.
I could go on and on about the fruitful and ABUNDANT blessings of relationship, love, and self-less, Christ-like servanthood they lived out! And even though it's been several years since we lived on the same street and shared soo much life, it feels like yesterday!!
As we are settling into our new neighborhhood, those sweet, sweet memories are surfacing left and right and making me smile! :) It also makes me crave the same, sweet experience we had with Bonnie & Mickey. (I'm learning I'm more a creature of habit than I thought!) But am realizing that we'll never have this same experience. And that's EXACTLY the point. It's time to make new memories with a different group of people. Of course we'll weave in some of their neighborly ideas, and pay it forward, (Lon's already the neighborhood edger!!! :) but we are eagerly awaiting what's gonna blossom here! I know these things take time, but we are ready for something NEW and FRESH from HIM....
Independent living
4 years ago
1 comments:
Good things to make me think about... am I being a good neighbor? What can I do better?
Post a Comment