Well, I did it!!!
I mustered up the courage to try a new group at church. I put on my big girl pants, dropped Kate in the childcare area, bought my book, slapped on a name tag (which I despise!) and headed into worship. I forgot how great it is to be surrounded by women - just women- worshiping Him. Then off to group time. My group is called MP3- Mothering with His power, purpose and passion. There I met some incredible gals, and started the study Enriching the Heart of Intentional Moms: Transforming your family to create a lasting legacy by Catherine Hickem. It's a DVD/homework study. Although I've been a mom for 7 years, I've never done a motherhood study, I've actually resisted them. And now look where I am! :)
As I sat among these new friends this morning, I was reminded of my old MOMS group five years ago. When I'd barely made it out the door with 2 kids in diapers... sometimes even without a shower! Claire & Molly were in childcare, Kate was under the table in her bucket "trying" to nap, Lucy crying in the back of the room, and then new friends Nate and Drew rolled up in their strollers. I couldn't help but remember all the incredible relationships He knitted together from that MOMS group this morning.
New beginnings are not my forte - I resist, I want to buck the system, I want things to stay safe and comfortable. But in order to grow, I must take those first steps- even with gritted teeth- but no less, doing it. I know He has good things in store for me!
So now, it's onto the homework.
The first question: What is one of the most frequent statements your mother made to you while growing up?
You tell me yours, I'll tell you mine! :)
Independent living
4 years ago
5 comments:
The first thing that comes to mind is when my mom used to say, "This hurts me way more than it hurts you." At the time I thought she was just talking about the spanking itself...I had no idea she meant the whole go of it (motherhood). Boy was she right. As a mom you feel not only your subject to your own feelings but you take on the feelings/emotions of the whole family...especially the kids'.
Hee, Hee... it would have to be "Life ain't fair!"
Good for you- my big journey is to read through the bible in 6 mos- it's always nice to start the new year off right!
Did I really say that??? Well, maybe! My mother used to say, "The last time I used it I put it away." Also, "Monkey see, monkey do."
Which church did you go to? Sounds like Faith.
I remember 2 things my mom always said:
1. You can do ANYTHING you put your mind to.
2. Be careful the boogeyman doesn't get you on the way to bed!
PS...Yes, it's Faith, Linda. We LOVE it there! :)
Since I've been an adult, my mom's favorite one to say to me that she said HER mom said to HER, was "This too shall pass"
She drove me crazy saying that over and over! But it's true...
That book study you are starting sounds fabulous...something I'd love to sink my teeth into...I'll have to look into it!
Post a Comment