Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Delight!

Last month I went to a seminar and promised to share my notes...so here they are!
I hope they make sense, and if not, leave a question or thought for me! :)

2009 Living Proof Live Simulcast with Beth Moore
Psalm 37: 1-9
“Take delight in the Lord
And He will give you the
Desires of your heart” –Psalm 37:4

1. Nothing dictates our lives like our desires.

• Pray: Lord , transform my desires
• “What is it I want in life?”….identify your heart’s desires.
• A “wait” is needed in order to prove to be a desire…
• A sustained longing unaffected by mood or surrounding = a desire

2. Beneath the desires of our hearts is the heart of our desires.

• this may be something I’m not even acquainted with, think about what motivates me more than anything…
• look for what is present in an absence
• He knows what I lack, He’ll use it to get me to my destiny
• Every single desire implies something I lack
• He hears what I want…so if He is responding, LOOK TO HIM!!!
• If He’s not answering a prayer, either glory or destiny is at stake!

3. Delighting in God adapts our desires into inevitabilities

• My desires often need a little tweaking to get what He wants for me
• I was created to delight in Him and He in me…this is supposed to be a reciprocal relationship!
• Delight- always has a dimension of WONDER! (Think venti joy with an extra shot!)
• Pray: Lord, grant me a heart to delight in You!
• He created me to delight in Him.
• I’m made to sense His presence and to bask in it! 

4. NOTHING external can steal our right to delight

• People DO NOT get to steal my joy!
• Circumstances cannot take my joy either
• 3 things will come to steal my delight, or take a bite out of my delight (JAW)
1. Jealousy ~Psalm 37:1
-AKA: desire tinged with resentment
-has it seeded in me towards someone?
-am I jealous of those who do wrong?
-am I jealous of those who do well?
-jealousy comes from a heart of insecurity…
-who comes to mind for me?
-You can’t have delight with jealousy
2. Anger ~Psalm 37:8
-What am I mad about?
-anger is manipulative & controlling and it emotionally distances people
-it will NEVER work in a relationship, it motivates to alienation and creates resentment
-anger is the opposite of delight
-anger is stealing & malforming my desires
-Col 3:1-8….set your affection on things of Christ. I was made for passion, a holy one, not anger, malice, etc.
-anger is defined as a squeeze or restrictor, while delight is freeing
-under anger is grief
* This grief can be subtle or obvious
*God can take me through this grief
-in most madness there is an element of sadness!
-get to the sadness so God can work!
3. Worry ~Psalm 37: 7-8
-(fret) is defined as: to eat or gnaw into; to affect something as in eating or gnawing
-fret does NOTHING for me
-it disfigures my delight

5. To make room for delight, we’ve got to commit (verse 5)


• Roll it onto Him- let Him deal with someone who’s trying to “bite” me
• Turn from your indecision
• Commit your journey to Him

6. Nothing is passive about patiently waiting for desire to turn into delight (verse 4)

• Do not let the enemy convince me there’s no hope
• Be still = STOP
• Be careful about too much talking, texting, blogging, etc…make time for Him
• Wait= anxious expectation…be on your tiptoes, be ready!
• Turning waiting into praise and trust Him to work

7. Till faith becomes sight, trust God and do some good! (verse 3)

• Faith will come with sight
• Pray bigger and think broader
• God will reward my perseverance of faith
• It doesn’t say do right, it says do “good” Romans 12:21
• What land has God given me?? Dwell in it…enjoy safe pasture and feed off His faithfulness
ness

2 comments:

Mara said...

Thank you so much for typing up your notes, as I read through it I immediately went back to my lightning bolt/thunder moment of what I experienced that weekend. Powerful stuff! A great experience I will never forget!

Anonymous said...

I so love Beth Moore. I had to print these out. It doesn't matter when i read them, or when i see her, she always hits home with her message. Thanks for sharing.